Friday, May 17, 2013

The Secret to Being Kind

Our precious 3 year old has a tendency to throw temper tantrums when she doesn't get her way. We've been trying to teach her that if she would just use words instead of throwing a fit, sometimes we can make changes.

So a while back there was a morning she didn't want to wear the shirt I had picked out for her.  She really wanted to pitch a fit . . I could see the wheels turning in her head.  Finally she looked at me and said "Mama the arms in this shirt feel funny could I please not wear it?"  (Now it was in a whining voice - but I didn't care - she didn't throw a fit!)  PARENTING VICTORY.  Then she said, "Instead could I wear my 'I'm A Hoot' shirt?"  PARENTING VICTORY #2 -

So I began to poor on the praise. . . .thank you for using words . . . of course you can wear a different shirt . . . that is exactly how mommy & daddy want you to express your feelings. . . . that was so kind . .. etc, etc, etc.

Then she says . . . .

" Yep mom . it's because I'm naked.  It's just easier to be kind when I'm naked"

There you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment